Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Golf is Hard!

I love to play golf. I used to be a "basketball guy," I couldn't get enough of the sport. I grew up watching MJ perfect every aspect of the game. I also noticed he was pretty passionate about golf. I am ashamed to admit that I tried smoking a cigar on the course solely because "His Airness" did it and looked so cool playing with a nice stogey. Needless to say I didn't look nearly as cool and almost got sick during that round.

At the tender age of 14, after making fun of my friends for playing this silly game and with a little inspiration from some guy nicknamed Tiger, I finally picked up a set of sticks. My grandpa passed on to me my very first set that was made up of woods that were actually wood, irons with a sweet spot the size of a dime, a putter that both lefty and righty's could use with equal success and a bag that was some version of pleather (bright purple if I remember right).

I was hooked after my first trip to the course with my best friend and his dad. The thing that really got me was how easy this game was, I mean the ball is just sitting there. How hard can it be? "Tee-ball was pretty easy, this can't be so bad," I thought to myself over that first shot. SPLASH! First ball in the water. SPLASH! Second ball also in the water. At that point I was informed by my best friend's dad that I was only allowed to use a 9 iron for the rest of the day. So much for being an easy game.

Now after 15 years of playing what I now call "The Greatest Game," I have realized that golf is hard. It is hard for the very same reason that I first thought it was easy. The ball is just sitting there, mocking you, challenging you, getting in your head. But it keeps me coming back for the very same reason I kept coming back in the beginning, the thrill of a great shot, great hole, or great round.

See you on the course!

-ACE

No comments:

Post a Comment